Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+3
second nature
Laneysplott
oxford dogger
7 posters

May 1 meeting in Bangor

oxford dogger

May 1 meeting in Bangor Empty May 1 meeting in Bangor

Post  oxford dogger Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 am

I talked to Tim Cote today about legislative issues and the Maine Sporting Dog Association.
    Tim expressed to me that he did not feel he wanted to continue to take on his new position as President of this group. He will be resigning that position at the meeting Sunday. I told him there are many roles he can take on if this is not what he wants.
    This will mean that one of the first things on the agenda for the May 1 meeting will be electing a new president.
    People should plan on being there at 8:30 to make sure they can vote.
    Paul Laney will post an agenda within the next day or so.
    Tim Farrar
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Male Posts : 108
    Job/hobbies : guide

May 1 meeting in Bangor Empty Re: May 1 meeting in Bangor

Post  Laneysplott Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:12 am

I nonminate Tim Farrar for president.
    second nature
    second nature

Male Posts : 350
    Job/hobbies : Taxidermist /guide

Post  second nature Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 am

I second that
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

May 1 meeting in Bangor Empty Meeting

Post  HOLLABACK Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:00 am

I'll support anyone who wants the position,and do my part to help in anyway.I also talked with my sister Lisa who has exsperience in lobbying.She's lobbied on large bills around the country in various issue.She knows the issues and understands the procedures to do so.She also is very capable of representing dog issues.She's hunted most of her life and bear hunting is important to her as well.She's willing to help lobby anytime our club needs her exsperience.Very politicaly correct with her approach on these issues.She'll be attending the meeting on the first to introduce herself.Hope to see everyone there and get some issues resolved.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

May 1 meeting in Bangor Empty members

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:04 am

I see on this hounds of Maine site theres 112 members posting photos and talking up a storm.The MSDA has about 38 members.Please if your not a member of the MSDA join now.Were going to have to be a group with big numbers to fight the Antis.We all love our sport no matter what it is.The MSDA is developing into a group that will help all dog folks.The membership is showing your support to the fight.With all the issues being adressed toward dog folks we need this club to grow strong.Please join and support this club........
    oxford dogger

Post  oxford dogger Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:09 am

I will be willing to do what I can to help promote the use of hunting dogs here in Maine and beyond.
    Here are some of my thoughts.
    We need numbers. I think $25 is too high for a membership. There are many ways to raise money.It is much more important to have many members.
    Consider $10 individual memberships or three years at $25.
    Family members could be added at $5 each.
    Clubs could join for $50.
    Money can be raised by raffles or other fund raisers.(Week of 'cat hunting with Paul Laney)LOL
    Create a board of directors that represent regions and types of hunting.
    For example; Beaglers,bird dog people as well as houndsmen.
    There has been plenty of work done already and I will do my part. What ever that is.
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Male Posts : 108
    Job/hobbies : guide

Post  Laneysplott Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:13 am

Tim, you have some great ideas but I think a week off coyote hunting with Maine's best coyote hunter Tim Farrar would be a better sell. Haha

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:32 am

Did you realize that the spring meeting for the MTA is also on May 1? guess I need to decide which way to go.

May 1 meeting in Bangor Empty another thought

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:01 am

why are all the meetings in bangor? I would have to drive about 4 and half hours north,With my truck that won't be happening..I can't even drive 2 hours and a half to augusta right now...If I joined I would like to know I had a vote and seeing where , there is no way I could drive that far for a meeting it has been putting me off on joining thus far..When this whole thing started up again I was all for it (gung ho}. I had mentioned to tim cote of having a southern me chapter and a northern me chapter. But he said he had talked to people and some liked it ,some didn't felt it wouldn't be fair if one chapter brought in more money than the other...which to me made no sense as the club is still one. just two chapters and all monies made would go together anyway..bi annual whole state meetings. This is another way this club would get more people. How many people out there are like me wanting to join and be involved but just don't because the meetings are to far away and can't make them but would if a meeting was closer. I bet there are quite a few..another way to get people is to advertise family friendly ads about any upcoming shows. bring it to the people. I already posted this on another thread so I am not going to get into it.anyway this is how I feel and my opinion..Dues might bring in the one or two dog owners out there as well if they are brought a little lower. But I don't really feel 25 is a whole heck of a lot and I am currently unemployed..I seriously believe people like to feel involved and unless they can drive a whole lot of miles it could hold off on joining..bringing to people instead of people trying to find you is gonna help too...paper,magazines,radio anyway to bring it to the people...chris
    oxford dogger

Post  oxford dogger Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:35 am

As far as I know this is the first meeting of the new orginization a side from at the Augusta show.
    I think there will be many ways to be involved. Local clubs could join as a club.
    Each club could have a seat on the board.
    There may be times we need to speak to local sportmen's clubs or the warden service.
    I will be a member even if it is just to give the State Association one more number.
    The location of meetings may well need to change per month/quarter or year.
    I hope every one will consider joining and helping even if they never make a meeting.
    We need to help spread the word that hunting with dogs is long held cherished tradion in Maine. It is equally important that we work to improve our image to the non hunting community.
    I grew up rabbit and coon hunting. Bear hunting took up 20 plus years of my hounding life. Coyote hunting is what I do weekly year round now.
    Oh I forgot the duck hunting /Labrador retriever years.
    I believe people will listen when we spread a positive message about the value of using dogs and I plan to do that.
    The Maine Sportman and Maine Sporting Journal
    might host monthly columns if we can get them written by one or more members.
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

May 1 meeting in Bangor Empty Food for the Member Meeting on Sunday?

Post  DogChaser Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Should I bring anything for Sunday? Food, a case of water etc.? Just checking if any of you had any ideas on this since we will probably be there for a while Smile
    Thanks, Lauren
    meguide01
    meguide01

Male Posts : 157

Post  meguide01 Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:19 am

Tim you have said what I would want to and well think you deserve the position of president keep up the positives and thank you for stepping up.
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

Post  blue_ridge Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:04 am

i really wish i could make the meeting. but ive taken too much time off of work to take another day off for awhile. i have to work sundays. sorry fellas. hope the meeting goes well

corey robinson

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:49 am