Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+3
bones
th4429
runemwithdogs
7 posters

broken toe

runemwithdogs
    runemwithdogs

Male Posts : 100
    Job/hobbies : Electrician/Millwright

broken toe Empty broken toe

Post  runemwithdogs Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:51 pm

one of my coyote dogs broke her toe this morning while out running. are there any vitamins etc...i can give her for a quick heal? kinda bummed this happened right in the middle of good running. what can ya do right? any tips or tricks to help would be greatly appreciated! thanks
    th4429
    th4429

Male Posts : 114
    Job/hobbies : hunting

broken toe Empty Re: broken toe

Post  th4429 Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 pm

thats a bummer, dont know anything about it but when my wife broke a toe they taped it to the next one to keep it imobile....... she wasnt chasin a yote but tripped on the door jamb lol.
    bones

Post  bones Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:18 am

Some dogs will wear a boot, is it her toe or a toe nail that got ribbed back toe nail you can cortarize
    runemwithdogs
    runemwithdogs

Male Posts : 100
    Job/hobbies : Electrician/Millwright

Post  runemwithdogs Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 am

this is the actual toe. i thought about taping it up. but heard a lot of guys just say let it be. and it will heal.
    th4429
    th4429

Male Posts : 114
    Job/hobbies : hunting

Post  th4429 Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:10 am

if it was my dog an the toe wasnt pointed of crooked i would just let it heal. bet you ask swampdoggah an you get a much better answer .if ya need his cell number pm me .......or oxford dogger.
    old timer
    old timer

Male Posts : 467
    Job/hobbies : semi retired

Post  old timer Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 am

th4429 I heard about that toe that your wife broke while you two was playing hide and seek in the dark...

Jeremy that sucks for sure but maybe best to ask a vet or like Tommy said Swampdogga would have a good answer I am sure because of his voluntary work at the vets all these years.
    New Leaf

Male Posts : 305
    Job/hobbies : hunter.

Post  New Leaf Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:26 pm

I have heard that if it doesn't heal right and it handicaps the hound that you can have it taken off back to the 1st joint and they will run fine.This is just last resort.Sorry not much help.
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 am

Jeremy, if its not real bad just give the dog some chain time, keep an eye on it and time will heal it up. Even know running is god now, it will be better later SO give the dog some down time and get healed up. Keeping em off the issue is the biggest thing. nothing will heal better then time. If the toe isnt too bad you can tape the foot up real well and put it in a boot and depending on the dog he/she may run good BUT will only prolong the healing.
    RonB
    RonB

Male Posts : 249
    Job/hobbies : Retired and run hounds

Post  RonB Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 pm

I have a Female that broke her toe last year and I went and saw a vet he told me to leave her on the chain for about two to three weeks and I did she was running in three weeks like nothing ever happen. Last week she broke her toe nail and the vet has to remove it its getting infected and the best thing is to remove the nail and she should be alright.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content