Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+6
sprucemountain
blue_ridge
toby
countrygirl11
DogChaser
HOLLABACK
10 posters

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... Empty MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

Post  HOLLABACK Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:56 pm

As we all know,we formed the MSDA to help fight the fight on our hunting issues.Luckly we've had a chance to calm down since we all gathered last and figured it was time to gain strengh while we could.We all know money makes that happen a bit easier.I've had the oppertunity to talk with Marie Laney on some issues on what we could do to build the funds....We come up with: a Biggest bear in Maine contest....The rules are simple,cheap to enter,and all are welcome to play along.....
    $5.00 to enter your bear!
    Must be shot in Maine!
    Must be take'n by way of Bait,dogs,or trapping!
    A contact number to tagging staion to verify weight!
    Enter as many as you want if your a guide and take'n with your client.....$5.00 per bear entered....
    It's that simple! Our prize will be a gift basket full of goodies, that we'll gather as we go

Make checks payable to:
    MSDA
    3 water st.
    Grand Lake Stream,Maine 04637

DogChaser
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... Empty Re: MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

Post  DogChaser Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:45 am

Sounds Great! I can't wait!

Lauren
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Female Posts : 136
    Job/hobbies : Registered Maine Guide

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... Empty Re: MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

Post  countrygirl11 Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:09 am

This is a great opportunity to have a little fun and support the MSDA! The basic rules are as Bill stated..the contest will start on August 27th and will end Nov 1st so that everyone with baits, hounds, and traps has the opportunity to enter! Outfitters are encouraged to enter as many bears as they would like of their clients or the clients may enter themselves as long as the bear was shot in MAINE, its only $5 bucks for an entry! Depending on how this little contest goes we may continue it for other species as well during their open seasons! We are coming up with some great goodies for the basket! Also the winner will get posted on the MSDA website as well! You may also refer to the Maine Sporting Dogs Association website for more updates! I am looking forward to seeing how this goes and hopefully it turns out to be a success...if anyone has any personal questions or needs more information please don't hesitate to ask or email at msda@live.com!!! BIGGEST BEAR WINS!!! Just a few more weeks but wanted to get the word out there so get ready! LET THE GAMES BEGIN!! ~Marie
    toby
    toby

Male Posts : 124
    Job/hobbies : lineman for fairpoint com./MSDA Member

Post  toby Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:59 am

Im in!!!! marie if you have any questions on how to spell my name for the trophy just give me a call. lol
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

Post  blue_ridge Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:20 am

great idea. i just wanted to add this, today i was driving through madison and saw a 4 door ford with the MSDA logo sticker on the back window. it was nice to see that sticker.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Corey,
    Nice to see them stickers is'nt it.Thats what they're for!
    sprucemountain
    sprucemountain

Post  sprucemountain Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Great Idea guy's, sounds like fun.
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Post  countrygirl11 Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm

haha Toby..You better go big if you think your gonna win..LOL Great to see a few responses hopefully when the season arrives this will be a little fun contest! It is good to see those stickers Corey...make sure you pass on the word to everyone!~
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:39 am

im going to send an entry fee in. if someone wants to enter a bear with it, feel free. might just have to let marie know i suppose LOL.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Corey,
    Thanks for all the support again! Your always willing to help out,and it does'nt go un-noticed! Thanks!
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Post  countrygirl11 Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Yes Corey! Thank you...you are always willing to help anyway you can! We appreciate it! THANKS!!!
    cnile14
    cnile14

Male Posts : 410
    Job/hobbies : Hunting and cattle

Post  cnile14 Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:12 pm

Bill I thought of trying something like this with coyotes. Everyone is so far apart there'd have to b some honest people in different areas to do the tagging and weighing of the yotes. Thought of doin a supper after The deadline like bill dube does for his rabbit hunt. Just a thought for something for the coyote houndsmen to think about trying?
    Good luck to everyone with the bear contest!
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 pm

cnile14,
    Yea we talked about doing this for the coyote hunters as well.Maybe we can deligate a few folks around the state that would be offical weight stations till the deadline,and then the results can be awarded at the supper?Maybe we can get the ball roll'n on this as well...It's a great way to have some friendly fun,and support a great club....Plus help save some deer as well.....Trapping,night hunting,hounding,ect....that way we can raise as much as possible and maybe get some new members to join the club as well....I'll do whatever I can to make it work on this end,and any ideas feel free to let us know.....Great Idea!
    We talked about have'n something like this for every animal we possibly can! Most folks are into everything and gives everyone a idea on how big,and how many....We'll do our best,and see how well it goes......
    cnile14
    cnile14

Male Posts : 410
    Job/hobbies : Hunting and cattle

Post  cnile14 Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:33 am

i can do a weigh station here just not sure on tagging yotes i understand some people might want to get a mount done or sell the fur, not sure what the best way to do that would be? i like how dube does his awards with a mens women's and jr divisions something like that maybe with donations for a few trophies for heaviest an most maybe for each division? and my grandmother does catering services and id cover her cost with donations for food?? lets get the b all rolling on the coyote thing I'm in!! i thought of a deadline of early april maybe? anyone else wanna chime in on possibilities??
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 am

cnile14,
    sounds great!Just like anything else, we'll have to try it until we get it right.I think keeping it simple is best,at least for now....Biggest wins.....With alot of contests,at some point it's all about honesty....I understand where there's a way to cheat,some will,so we'll have to come up with some sort of fair,easy way to do this.....One of the coyote derbys that I know about does the few station thing....Maybe we can have some official weight sheets that a warden can sign when they tag the animal....As simple as have'n a small set of scales handy when they're there tagging the yote just weight it in front of them????? Any thoughts about what would work best for this????? Soon as we can come up with some sort of vision we'll talk with all the members as see what everyone want to do.......Maybe we need to call some sort of meeting on this one????
    Treesadie
    Treesadie

Post  Treesadie Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 am

Dont have to tag yotes.
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Post  countrygirl11 Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Corey, I received your check in the mail yesterday! I will put it towards the contest! Thank you so much for helping! We appreciate it! ~Marie
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks Corey!
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 pm

hey marie, i just sent the envelope out yesterday and it was cash. im out of checks till they come in the mail. soooo i dont know. i mean i am over 30 now so its possible i forgot that i wrote out the check and mailed it hahahahah lol! but i just sent out the envelope yesterday. you are welcome though. i enjoy helping any way i can and hope to some day be able to participate with the club.

corey
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Post  countrygirl11 Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Nope..im the one that is losing it...When I got the check I figured it was from you but it wasn't! Sorry...that is funny! So actually a BIG Thank you to Kenneth Babineau for his $5 entry fee!! We really appreciate it!!
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Come on Marie....Jee wiz.....lol....
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Post  countrygirl11 Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:45 pm

lol..I'm RIGHT MOST ALL THE TIME but this time I just happened to be wrong.. lol!
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Hmm, I was wrong once too! No, wait, I think I was just mis-informed.....I think we'll all let it slide this time.....
    mehunt
    mehunt

Male Posts : 14

Post  mehunt Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Treesadie wrote:Dont have to tag yotes.
    Actually at this point unless you leave them dead in the woods you are still required to tag yotes. Most taxidermist require a tag before excepting the fur or animal for mounting.
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 pm

mehunt wrote:
    Treesadie wrote:Dont have to tag yotes.
    Actually at this point unless you leave them dead in the woods you are still required to tag yotes. Most taxidermist require a tag before excepting the fur or animal for mounting.

First off, welcome to the site mehunter!

Correct me if im wrong but, Isn’t the only reason you tag a yote is if you want taxidermy work done or to sell the fur? To bring in a yote and have it weighed in and scored for the contest there won’t be any need for tags. Right? Another thought is, if you shoot a game animal and let it go to waist your liable for prosecution? or did i read last year that they changed the law, you can leave a yote in the woods after killing it?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:15 am