Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

3 posters

putting weight on

copper

Male Posts : 69
    Job/hobbies : Electrician, hunting with my hounds

putting weight on Empty putting weight on

Post  copper Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 pm

My female swiss hound is almost done feeding pups and i have been double feeding her. She is worm free but still not putting on any weight. A local hounds man told me a pb sandwich twice a day. Anything else i can do?
    Budd Denny
    Budd Denny

Male Posts : 782
    Job/hobbies : hounds

putting weight on Empty Re: putting weight on

Post  Budd Denny Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:50 pm

Beaver carcass's put weight on em QUICK but may be hard to get ahold of this time of year, next best go to walmart and pick up chicken leg quarters and feed one a day with dry kibble. (bone and all)
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Post  HOLLABACK Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Copper,
    Your discription of worm free has me thinking???? Just some thought of the subject for ya......How do you know? The reason I ask is for a few reasons....A stool sample is the only 100% way of knowing this for certain! If you've had this done,how long ago? Reason being is; you mentioned "Almost done feeding pups" and my thought is she's re-infested due to keeping her pups clean and the nest tighty......And choice of wormer used might be the problem? Alot of wormers on the shelves are not suitable for all worms.....and some work alot better then others......Not all wormer is equal in potentcy...... Not trying to say she is,just trying to cover your basis's.....Most nursing mothers are wormy (fact).....Just try'n to help......
    Generally round worm is most common with hook worm being second,but whip,tape,pin,ect....can be the problem with your currant wormer not affective in treatment......A safe alternitive to worm treatment in nurse'n mothers is Dietanatious earth....It's a crushed seashell base that has the ability to treat all worms,safe and all-natural and cheap! And will not harm or infect milk supply......Hope this helps.....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:45 am