Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+3
coydawg39
second nature
blue_ridge
7 posters

skin problems

blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

skin problems Empty skin problems

Post  blue_ridge Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 am

i wanted to add this topic and see what yall thought. i had to take my pup to the vet today. cost me 250 dollars but i was worried he had the mange. he started looking real dry a few weeks ago and started loosing hair. i didnt think much of it, gave him a hell of a bath for about an hour a few weeks ago and thought he just had dry skin. well this week i looked at him and he had bare spots and was crusty and bleeding. i was not impressed and very worried about him. i took him to my vet today. they said something about a skin disease or something like that. gave me some antibiotics and some anti itch pills and a bathing solution and hoped it would take care of it. i wasnt impressed with my vets answers but i am not a vetinarian so i have to stick with it and hope this cures the problem. they told me that if this doesnt clear it up in 20 days or so i should have tests done to see if he is allergic to anything. and that would be another 250 dollars. holly crap is about all i could say. anyways i was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this with there dogs. it looked almost like mange to me but the vet said it was not. i felt really bad seeing him itching today. i take really good care of my dogs and dont like seeing that crap on my pup

corey

skin problems Empty Re: skin problems

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:38 am

what type of bedding does your dog have? straw? shavings?
    second nature
    second nature

Male Posts : 350
    Job/hobbies : Taxidermist /guide

Post  second nature Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 am

hey corey sorry to hear about your pup i was wondering did the vet scrap the spot and do a culture and look at it under a microscope? it kinda sounds like the red mange which is a non contagious . did they give you mitaban to was him with ? there is this stuff called new spot that you can get at most horse supplie stores or over the net it will cure the red mange and hot spots and such best of luck Larry
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:49 am

hes had straw sense i got him. was thinking about changing it to shavings. they put him on Cephalexin and Prednisone and they gave me a shampoo DOUXO. they did scrap the spots. and put it under a mircoscope. she said she didnt know what it was without doing allergy tests. she didnt think it was the mange and saw no flea debris. they really didnt have an answer for me and told me that the allergy test would tell more but it cost 250 dollars and wanted to try this first. its a 20 day treatment so i guess ill know more then
    second nature
    second nature

Male Posts : 350
    Job/hobbies : Taxidermist /guide

Post  second nature Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 am

best of luck to you hope that works for you keep us posted Larry

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 am

THE REASON I ASKED IS CAUSE I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AWHILE AGO AND IT WAS FROM A BAD BATCH OF STRAW
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 am

that is very possible actually. i replaced the straw a few weeks ago. i probably should clean out the house. thank you tim

corey

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 am

YOUR WELCOME
    coydawg39

Male Posts : 566
    Job/hobbies : hunting and camping ,4 wheeling

Post  coydawg39 Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 am

Hi Corey,its sounds like your dog has the same problem my friends lab had the itching and the hot spots and he gives the dog a pill once a day it cured i'll try and get the name of it . the cost at the vets was unreal so i got the name of and bought online from this place for a 1/4 of the price you can buy all kinds of stuff on it it's revivalanimal.com or 1-800-786-4751 cheap prices on all types of meds.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

skin problems Empty Corey

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:04 am

Corey,
    What ya feeding?Sometimes they can get a food allergy that affects there coat.? Also if the bedding gets a little wet they can get hay itch.Hope this helps.Hope he turnsout OK for ya.
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm

thank you guys. ill check that site out and see what i can find. ive been using purina sense the beginning. his straw is nice and dry. its pretty bad though. its scabbing over and losing a lot of hair. im hoping the stuff the vet gave me will work. if not im gonna have to change everything. his food, bedding, and all that happy stuff. thanks fellas

corey
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

I was talking to my vet the other day about mange and how there is 2 types he never really went into detail but enough for a simple minded fella like my self to understand. the nasty on that is contagious is easy to get rid of just by giving a bath with some treatment and also i think antibiotics, the second on is with the dog for life, its givin to the pup by its mother and basically the pups immune system is to low to fight of the mage and it effects the dog its hole life, BUT with a pill a day will keep the bugs away. i have a pretty nice book on meds for dogs ill try to see what the book says about the meds your giving the dog and maybe another alternative.
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:23 pm

yea def let me know. thank you

corey

Post  Guest Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:50 pm

had a dog with same problem. BREWERS YEAST was suggest by and old time vet and really worked for him. it;s availible at healthfood stores and is affordable, just mix it in his food.
    bunnyhuntah

Male Posts : 121

Post  bunnyhuntah Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:48 am

I have a house dog that gets hotspots and the best thing we have found and it does work at least on him is a cream called NU-STOCK its made for animals that have severe reactions. Also they reccomended this for mange. here is the website http://www.nustock.com/
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:32 am

thank you very much fellas. i think its starting to clear up with what the vet gave me. im hoping it continues to get better or i will be trying all of these solutions hahah

corey
    coydawg39

Male Posts : 566
    Job/hobbies : hunting and camping ,4 wheeling

Post  coydawg39 Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:59 pm

glad to hear the dogs doing better !!
    Masshole

Male Posts : 24

Post  Masshole Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:23 pm

The two types of mange is sarcoptic mange and demo aka red mange.
    You can get sarcoptic mange bad news. Demo or red mange you usually see in pups.
    The pups get it due to a weak imune system. All pups get the mites from mom but the ones with weaker imune systems will display the red hairless spots. It is treatable with ivomectin.
    Instead of spending all the cash on tests i would try getting some dog food with no corn or gluten in it. Or better yet just start feeding raw chicken backs. Look up the "barf"(bones and raw food) diet. Or the book give a dog a bone.
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice post masshole, a good bit of info thanks

Corey check out the new topic i posted a few days ago this may pertain to your dogs issues. i will have another new topic in regards to the NU-STOCK that was talked about earlier in this topic. good luck

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content