Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+6
sprucemountain
blue_ridge
toby
countrygirl11
DogChaser
HOLLABACK
10 posters

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... - Page 2 Empty Re: MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

Post  blue_ridge Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:13 pm

hahaha. i was beginning to wonder if i really did send a check out! phew. well thanks to everyone for the work done with the MSDA. hope all bear hunters can send 5 dollars to support the sport they love
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... - Page 2 Empty To end the back and forth:

Post  DogChaser Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/trapping/

"Tagging Furbearers
    Do the furbearing animals which I take by trapping or hunting need to be tagged?

The skins of all beaver, bobcat, coyote, fisher, fox, marten, mink and otter must be tagged within 10 days after the end of the season on each species. There is a 25 cent tagging fee for each skin.

Note: The skins of all bobcats taken by hunting must be tagged within 72 hours from the time they were taken.

Tags must be attached to the skins of these furbearing animals before you are allowed to sell them, give them away, send them anywhere or take them anywhere. Skins of other furbearing animals (muskrat, opossum, raccoon, red squirrel, skunk and weasel) do not need to be tagged."
    mehunt
    mehunt

Male Posts : 14

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... - Page 2 Empty Re: MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest......

Post  mehunt Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 pm

crossroadbeagles wrote:
    mehunt wrote:
    Treesadie wrote:Dont have to tag yotes.
    Actually at this point unless you leave them dead in the woods you are still required to tag yotes. Most taxidermist require a tag before excepting the fur or animal for mounting.

First off, welcome to the site mehunter!

Correct me if im wrong but, Isn’t the only reason you tag a yote is if you want taxidermy work done or to sell the fur? To bring in a yote and have it weighed in and scored for the contest there won’t be any need for tags. Right? Another thought is, if you shoot a game animal and let it go to waist your liable for prosecution? or did i read last year that they changed the law, you can leave a yote in the woods after killing it?
    Dog Chaser hit the proverbial "nail on the head" with his post. You are correct about the "wantin waste" law being changed last year to exclude coyotes. I guess the DIFW finally realized the coyote was a predator and a fur bearer!
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info folks!!
    Sorry about that, BTW most females know more than i do lol.

Last edited by crossroadbeagles on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

Post  DogChaser Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey guys it's me not Pete! lol!

Girls can know "stuff" too!

~Lauren~
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Female Posts : 136
    Job/hobbies : Registered Maine Guide

Post  countrygirl11 Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:27 pm

That's right Lauren...sometimes we just don't get the credit we deserve when it comes to the outdoors!!! tongue
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Post  HOLLABACK Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:01 pm

We appreciate ya both and know what ya both bring to the table! This MSDA would be standing on its head if it was'nt for ya both! Hats off to ya!
    countrygirl11
    countrygirl11

Female Posts : 136
    Job/hobbies : Registered Maine Guide

Post  countrygirl11 Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 am

Received your money today Corey...Thanks so much! I will add it to the others tongue

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... - Page 2 Empty Nice Bear

Post  Guest Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:10 am

I had sent in a check to register for the biggest bear contest. I shot a 444 lb Boar on Thursday September 20th in Amherst Maine over bait. Not sure how to get it entered into you. I had it weighed and certified at the Old Town Trading Post by Dave the owner. I figure I maybe in the running, but a lot of Big Black Bears are getting shot this year. You got the Greenfield Bear at 699 lbs and I know of one taken in Great Pond that went 600 lbs. Let me know if 444 is even in the running. If yes, let me know what the next step is. I have been trying for the last hour to get a picture attached on here, but I can't figure it out. I could send you an e-mail with the pictures and the certification.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:26 am

Congrats on the bear! Sounds like a dandy! If ya want to pm me all the info we'll record it soon as we verify it and if it does'nt win at least you enetered and help a great association out.....There currantly is a bigger bear entered,but still a great job and thanks for the support.....Maybe we'll do a second place and thats surely is in the running! So please continue to send the info......

MSDA-State of Maine Biggest Bear Contest...... - Page 2 Empty Big Beaar

Post  Guest Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Ok- I will get you all the info in a PM when I get a chance. Real busy these days between work, and hunting. I am Moose Hunting next week, getting ready for that, plus Pheasant, Grouse, Woodcock, are all opening up this week and need to be hunting my Pointers as much as possible. Plus running my Coyote dogs. Not that I am complaining, this is the best time of the year.

Thank You for the info.

Ranger1
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:28 pm

I hear ya! I need to go back to work to get a break...lol....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm