Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+5
ROADKILL
DogChaser
blue_ridge
Bsylvester89
HOLLABACK
9 posters

Paying Dues......

HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Paying Dues...... Empty Paying Dues......

Post  HOLLABACK Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 pm

To all members,

Another year has passed with a lot of issue affecting our sport on the table for 2014....We all know with these type of issues money helps.....With donating to the referendum and getting geared up from a long time down we need our war chest built back up as much as possible....Paying dues is our life-line to keeping this club alive and functional....Its beginning to seem like were loosing steam with our eagerness we had when we first needed to all pull together for issues.....Its not a one time shot! Its yearly......Nobody likes asking anyone to pay dues, but I'll be that guy if it helps regardless of what folks think.....There has to be that guy if things get slack and here we are......We have our biggest fight right in front of us, and only gonna get worst.....All the money in our pockets after the fact wont bring our season back if we loose.....We have to pull together and dues helps in that manner! Should'nt have to beg for folks to protect there own sport.....We also have a booth to pay for at Augusta Civic center this season and printing that needs to be done......We are currently working with a few members to hold our first Coyote events, and have 6 bear trials being in the books starting this spring....This all don't happen because we think of it and it will pay for itself.....We shouldn't have to list names on who pays and who don't...Does anyone think this will run itself? A mysterious donor will stop buy and square up so we don't have to worry about it? Or they wont miss just my dues?.....I know this pisses off a lot of folks and if so, too bad! This sport needs our help and if asking to pay "YOUR OWN" dues does piss you off, then think about that when your bitching after the ballot.....
    Bsylvester89
    Bsylvester89

Male Posts : 27
    Job/hobbies : ME Guide, UPS driver, Trapping, and Running Dogs

Paying Dues...... Empty Re: Paying Dues......

Post  Bsylvester89 Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:00 am

Well said Bill. I dropped my dues in the mail today.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:21 am

Thank-you! appreciate the support....Everyones dues helps tremendously.....It will boost the account to a few thousand dollars if everyone pays.....Last year only a handful paid and it was difficult to keep up with. I'll see if we cant get Lauren to post address and membership costs as well as where it needs to be sent.....Thanks again!
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

Post  blue_ridge Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 am

Whoa....thAT was out of the blue. I didn't even know they were due. Is there a specific date they are due by? I don't mean to stir the pot but what does the msda do towards this refferdndum?again, m just curious and asking. They are collecting signatures to get it on the ballot for November. What can we even do to prevent that? I understand it gets info out there at the sportsman show and all that. I'm just curious as to the process . You all do a great job. There's no doubt of that. I myself haven't had much time to follow this whole thing. I think a lot of folks would like to see where there money is going. As for me. I can't afford a pot to piss in trying to finish my house and buy everything I need to get into the house by next weekend.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:56 am

Corey,
    Our dues have been going directly toward the bear referendum as well as to pay for a booth in Augusta at the civic center to gain more members....We've also purchased hats and shirts to promote our sport as well as sweatshirts....Plus we support the hunter safety programs and have done outings at trappers weekend as well as Cabelas with the USSA....We have donated to the bear referendum that pretty much drained us....Our bear trials create some money but not enough to substain us....Last year hardly anyone paid their dues and that makes a club like this struggle.....Kinda why the tree hound assc. was at a stand still for several years...The dues are what keep it going....As far as what do we do????? We do exactly what we can with what money we have to work with to promote and protect the sporting dogs......We attend every meeting with the Sportsmens alliance of maine to discuss the issues about the bear referendum.....We attend every work session in Augusta at capitol bld, on any and all dog related issues to protect our sport in a manner that shows the other side were not going anywhere either.....We work with the maine bear coalition and keep them informed with whats happening abroad.....and are the father group to all hound clubs throughout the state being at every event to answer questions and to attract members..... and with all gas paid out of our own pockets!!!!! All still trying to work myself!!!!!!!!!!!
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 am

I understand all that. That's what do people need to see. I'm still curious as to what it means when folks donate money to the bear referendum? I'm not up with all the legislation stuff. Is there a campaign collecting money? And if the HSUS gets all there signatures won't it go on the ballots in November no matter what we do? I guess I just don't see where the money goes when you say " donate " to the bear referendum.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:57 am

The msda money goes to the MSDA in which we donate a lot to the bear referendum.....The Maine bear coalition is the leader for our side taking the lead in the fight.....The money that is received to them inhand goes toward the tv ads and broadcasting to defend our sport.....Talking with the coalition money is what makes it work.....We can only afford so much fight with what we have and trying to build it up so we can defend when time comes...All stats show it will go to ballot and from what the exsperts say it will cost 2.2 million to fight it with minimal air time....possibly only a couple weeks on tv.....Plus the lawyers retainers and advertisement on radio....The MSDA is a small part of who donates but we are all hound hunters and need to have a group such as our showing our leadership in the fight or next time they'll target the smallest group....again.....It takes money to make money and we have folks that contribute faithfully and appreciate everything they do.....If we could get all couple hundred members to pay dues on a regular basis we could do a lot more as a group in the fight,plus a lot more....I think last year only 50 or so people paid.....Like I said before I'll be that guy if I need to.....Just trying to get folks to keep up with the fight.....We lost a close to $4000.00 dollars last year in dues that could help this fight.....and if I say nothing another $4000.00.....It all adds up......Even if they don't get the signatures they need don't think they're gone......
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

Post  DogChaser Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:13 am

As of 2013, we have only 60 paid members out of about 200. Which means the $500 we sent to The Maine Wildlife Coalition Council cleaned us out! The MSDA has been sitting on the counsil, going to meetings and sitting in on conference calls. We've been out there with MPGA, Maine Trappers and a bunch of other groups. I personally am on the committee for the PTCCBHA rabbit derby. The MSDA will be at Bill Dubes rabbit derby. Neil Olsens Trappers weekend,  for the 2nd year! And all of this comes out of my personal pocket! I have 3 children,  non the less..that go out and help fundraise and educate the public. The houndsmen and women of Maine won't have a voice without getting out and being heard. The MSDA needs our members, we need our memberships..we lost thousands in dues just last year...we need membership dues to continue our Bear trials...the first club to ever put one together. We need help or we won't have enough to get our booth at the Sportsman Show this year, we have a voice..we are out there to not only save Maines bear hunt but to save hunting all together!

Dues are due by the beginning of each year,  I know we've been slack on newsletters but we wanted to have all the information for this years events because we cannot afford to send multiples. A single membership is $20, $25 for a family or $100 for a lifetime. 

MSDA
    39 Fairbanks Road Manchester Maine 04351

Feel free to contact me with any questions

~Lauren
    ROADKILL

Male Posts : 264
    Job/hobbies : MaineDOT/ trapping,Houndsman,MSDA MEMBER!

Post  ROADKILL Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:03 am

I will be paying you soon for my Family, I KNOW where the dues GO! Thank You and I am a proud member as is my FAMILY and the fellows that are current members!
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 am

okay. I never once asked what does the MSDA do!!!! I only asked what the msda did towards the bear referendum because I didn't know. I know you guys work your tails off and I know you all have families and a work life. I didn't asked that. I also do not have time to go out and do all the stuff you guys are out doing right now. I just don't have the time. and I praise your efforts for doing all of this for the love of the sport. I was just unsure how the money was spent towards the bear referendum and bill answered that question for me. as for the dues, I am unable to even spare a 10 dollar bill right now. its sad but the truth and im embarrassed to say it. but its just the way it is until I get into my house. so its either I pay them late or don't pay them at all. id like to pay them late and im sorry for me going off over a computer screen.
    cnile14
    cnile14

Male Posts : 410
    Job/hobbies : Hunting and cattle

Post  cnile14 Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:52 am

Well said Bill, Also glad u and lauren threw $ figures out for everyone to see!! Exactly what i was thinking all day that what the club lost in membership in one year was far less then what the fundraising events raised!! Ive been in other clubs for different things and this is no different then the others, you get outta the club what u put into it. If all you do is pay a due for one year go to no meetings, don't  participate or help in any fundraising event or outdoor show then thats exactly what you get out of the club… Nothing! so if you think your $ has gone to waste you need to participate in the club and keep up to date just my opinion.  hope I am not  jumping the gun but Just a heads up to anyone interested we are getting things wrinkled out for a coyote contest and myself donating out of my pocket to the overall winner but need to come up with something for a couple more winnings and a few other details to finalize this.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:02 am

Carmine,
    Look forward to the event and will help in anyway I can....Will talk with Johnsons Hardware to see about other winners items....any ideas for them items feel free to call...1-207-271-0610....I usually have them do all the trophies for us and he sells them to us at cost if ya wanna go that route our club (downeast houndsmen assc.) will donate something for the cause as well.....Appreciate all your doing!
    sprucemountain
    sprucemountain

Post  sprucemountain Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:20 am

These people work their butts off for this club to try and give those of us that love this sport a voice and the money is well spent. Our numbers give us clout when legislative issues that pertain to hunting with dogs come's up. We are also trying to work toward fixing our image with the public and god knows we could use that. If we don't have any money to spend on defending ourselves on TV and in the press then they will be able to spread all their lie's and their won't be anything we can do about it. I think that it's pathetic that we have to explain this every year just because due's are due. I can relate to the being busy thing because you're building a house, I've built a couple of my own while working a full time job but shame on you for not even being interested enough to pay attention to what's going on. $20 bucks is pretty cheap for what this club is trying to do for us and when its all said and done, win or lose you can at least say that you did something to help.

blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Post  blue_ridge Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:36 am

Well like I said. I'm embarrassed to say it. And shame on me but I can't afford it right now. Yup its 20 dollars. And you say its pathetic that its gotta be explained about the bear reffefendum " because dues are due"? I'm sorry but I just haven't been able to follow it. I don't know what's going on. I don't know how it can be fought against. I truely don't know. Were supposed to stand together. I ask a few questions and Its pathetic??? I'm sorry I even wrote on this. I'm sorry I can't help. I really am sorry I've pissed folks off. I will keep my questions to myself.
    snowshoe
    snowshoe

Post  snowshoe Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:17 am

20 is a deal for representation and if a guy has to question the amount sell your hounds and get out of the sport. I don't belong to MSDA but I do belong to several hound groups in PA. We pay 25 and sell some raffle tickets during the year. The PA Coyote and Fox Hunters Assoc. has lobbied and got many changes to dog hunting laws. I hate to think what would happen if we didn't have this group fighting for hound hunting. I got a letter today from Nelson Cole about the bear hunting issue.....I sent my donation today as I did last time this came up. I hunt Maine and love it up there and would hate to see you guys lose any hound hunting rights. C'mon boys keep fighting!!
    kshields39
    kshields39

Male Posts : 289
    Job/hobbies : Utility Construction Manager / Hunting & Fishing

Post  kshields39 Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:16 am

I was looking on the MSDA website and couldn't find any info in regards to when annual dues were due. I've belonged to multiple hunting clubs over the years and typically it's structured around the date you joined. If you joined June of 2013 you pay your 2014 dues in June. Most clubs have by-laws that state important info such as this. I honestly think members aren't paying because they honestly don't know when there due.

Every member within the MSDA is looking to keep our priviledges going forward...it's not about the money. We need to educate our members.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:32 am

I understand the question and dues are due every year. Whenever is best for every individual.....but every year....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 pm