Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

4 posters

young pups on pine shavings?

crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

young pups on pine shavings? Empty young pups on pine shavings?

Post  crossroadbeagles Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:31 am

The few litters i have raised of pups i have always kept them on clean old blankets until they were 7 or 8 weeks old than would swap over to pine shavings, the pups i have right now are almost 3 weeks old and just starting to carry there weight on their legs. i have just swapped them over to pine and was wondering if any one has had any issues with keeping young pups on shavings.

Any help would be great
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

young pups on pine shavings? Empty Re: young pups on pine shavings?

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:49 am

The only problem with the shavings is the fine dust that it creates is hard on their breathing.Straw is my choice when it comes to pups.The only thing ya have to watch out for is when it gets wet.They also get a damp hay(straw) Itch from it.The other problem with shavings is it gets in their feed dish,and is a pain to deal with then.At that age they're a pee'n poop'n machine...lol....Keep'n clean is a full time job......Something under the straw is key! So when it's time to change the bedding, pick-up in one swoop.....Pups are'nt for everyone.....they're a ton of work.....My 2 cents......
    rich40s

Male Posts : 340
    Job/hobbies : logger

young pups on pine shavings? Empty pups

Post  rich40s Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:58 am

i got two litters of pups right now i use cedar shaveings in there houses one litter is 4 weeks the other litter is 5 weeks i see its working ok but they come outside of houses to feed and my houses i can just lift roofs off and clean out houses but like bill says pups are alot of work to take care of rich
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks for the input fellas, this pine bedding that i am using is quite thick chipped with much less dust as compared to many other types of sawdust/shaving i have seen. I have no problem working hard for what i want,like or need. taking care of a liter of pups is a lot of work, very much so once they start getting a puppy gruel daily and start growing some legs.
    rich40s

Male Posts : 340
    Job/hobbies : logger

Post  rich40s Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:32 pm

yes most shaveings i use are kinda big and not much dust in them good luck with your pups rich
    walkerpower23
    walkerpower23

Male Posts : 403
    Job/hobbies : Sales/ Running hounds

Post  walkerpower23 Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm

I am using straw and I have cardboard underneath so when its time to clean just pull out the square of cardboard put in a new piece and then the straw down on top. Pups are a lot of work but pretty fun and exciting watching them grow and develope and eventually turn into a nice little hunting machine to hopefully please us. I cant wait for my pups to get bigger so I can start the training process I am really excited I still have 3 available if anyone is interested. Thanks Matt

Post  Guest Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:13 pm

You should watch out for difficulty in breathing because of those pine shavings. Pups are very sensitive to these stuffs.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:30 pm