Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+7
pappa Bear
doghunter.me
crowley
mainecathunter
sprucemountain
HOLLABACK
Laneysplott
11 posters

info on bear bills

Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Male Posts : 108
    Job/hobbies : guide

info on bear bills Empty info on bear bills

Post  Laneysplott Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 am

afternoon - At the work session yesterday, the F&W Committee killed the last of the 4 Sunday hunting bills submitted this session (LD #910, An Act To Allow Hunting On Sunday For Landowners). Things are really getting busy now, because the deadline for getting all bills out of committee is less than three weeks away (May 13th). The F&W Committee has already dealt with most of the more controversial bills. The only bills left that are of concern are the bear bills, which have all been scheduled for public hearing at 9 AM, next Monday, May 2nd. There are four bear bills that will be heard that day, as follows (not necessarily in the order listed):

· LD 468, An Act To Amend the Laws Governing Bear Hunting – This is the bill submitted by Representative Wood. As written, the bill would eliminate one week of hound hunting, require written landowner permission to place bear bait, prohibit the training of bear dogs 7 days prior to the start of the hunting season and allow a person to take a bear by both hunting and trapping (with appropriate permits). As written, this bill would be detrimental to many guides and hunters. It would likely be extremely contentious as well. However, I have been working with Representative Wood, and he has agreed (when he presents the bill) to completely remove the section that would eliminate a week of hound hunting. The landowner permission issue has already been addressed in another bill so that section will also be removed from this bill. On the training issue, Representative Woods has agreed to reduce the number of days from 7 to 4. The only remaining issue is the 2nd bear for those that both hunt and trap for bears. Only 67 bears were taken by trapping last year, so that shouldn’t be a big issue. All told, the final version of the bill will be completely different from the way it is currently written. While there may still be opposition, the changes agreed to by Representative Wood should make the bill much more acceptable.

· LD 996, An Act To Amend the Law Relating to Training Dogs During Bear Hunting Season – This bill would remove the current law that prohibits the training of dogs on bear in those portions of Washington and Hancock Counties that are situated south of Route 9. The bill will have strong opposition from landowners (blueberry growers).

· LD 1020, An Act To Allow a Spring Bear Hunting Season – This bill would establish a spring bear hunting season to run from from the 3rd Monday in May to the 4th Saturday in June. Large landowners will be opposing the bill because of potential road damage. Lots of social issues involved with this one. I don’t think it will go anywhere.

· LD 1080, An Act To Ban the Use of Traps and Dogs in Bear Hunting – This bill has been submitted several times in the past, both prior to and following the 2004 bear referendum. It would do just as the title implies. It’s not going anywhere.

There have been times in the past when I’ve asked for a large turnout at a public hearing, and you have responded beyond expectations. This is not one of those times. The only real threat to our future is contained in LD #1080, and that bill is nearly dead already. I know that several of you will want to attend these hearings for various reasons (especially those of you that run hounds), and that will be great. However, I don’t think we need to flood the place with people. If you have questions or need more information
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Post  HOLLABACK Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:43 am

Thanks for posting this info,sometimes it's hard to find out how we stand.Alot of info gets twisted by the time we hear it.Nice getting it from the source.I'll be attending the meeting to listen in on how the issues are being handeled.Thanks again.......
    sprucemountain
    sprucemountain

info on bear bills Empty Re: info on bear bills

Post  sprucemountain Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks for the info.
    mainecathunter
    mainecathunter

Male Posts : 126
    Job/hobbies : cat and bear hunting

Post  mainecathunter Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for the info...I believe we should all be there, and everyone we know should be there.If they need the civic center to hold the meeting, that would be better yet. Be there listen and know for yourself what is really happening. Its your life your dogs and what you love, dont let someone else control your future.
    See you all there Monday.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

info on bear bills Empty info

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:10 am

I agree!Think we should all be there.
    crowley
    crowley

Male Posts : 221

info on bear bills Empty LD 468

Post  crowley Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:03 am

LD 468 IS EVERYONE GOOD WITH THAT????? WHY ARE WE LOOSEING ANY TRAINING DAYS????

That looks like a classic case of some Maine guides just trying to help the ANTIS' out.

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:42 am

LD468 IS EVERYONE GOOD WITH THAT????? WHY ARE WE LOOSEING ANY TRAINING DAYS????

That looks like a classic case of some Maine guides just trying to help the ANTIS' out.[quote]
    That's a broad and scathing comment crowely.
    crowley
    crowley

Post  crowley Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 am

It's not broad, it's the truth.
    I said some Guides. Now I don't know for sure who wrote the bill, but it has all the signs of a bait hunting guide/guides who are worried about hound hunters scaring their bear away. What training days do you think they are going to take away, the first part of training season. No, it will be the last few days before stand season starts. And what week of hunting do you think was proposed to take away.
    I'm not trying to start anything, just making a point. A few training days does not seem like much, but if they get what they want this year, they'll be back for a little more next year.
    doghunter.me
    doghunter.me

Male Posts : 299
    Job/hobbies : mechanic/maine guide

Post  doghunter.me Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:46 am

X2
    pappa Bear
    pappa Bear

Male Posts : 41
    Job/hobbies : Maskwa Outfitters/ Contractor

Post  pappa Bear Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:46 pm

thanks Paul!
    I appreciate being kept informed on what the issues are and being able to hear and see other peoples views. This is great!
    I personaly think this is a personal attack on hound hunters by bait hunters. Do we ask moose hunters or bird hunters to postpone there seasons for us next? NO!!! we stand our ground and protect the small progress we have made in the recent years.
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Post  Laneysplott Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

I really can't beleive what i just read. " some guides trying to help The Anti's" REALLY you said that!! This bill was submitted with the original wording to take away two weeks of hound hunting during the kill season. I guess you must have forgotten that we gained a MONTH of training last year! Skip worked his ass off to get Steve Wood to compromise on this bill to get it to the point it is at now. Everyone I have talked to so far has no problem giving up a couple of days of training since we gained a whole extra month just a year ago. sometimes in life you have to compromise. I personally take extream offence to be named as someone who would help the Anti's Think before you speak please!
    snowhound
    snowhound

Male Posts : 269

Post  snowhound Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:19 pm

a day here two days there and over the course of ten years walaa you no longer have a season!!and if you think im nuts you better look around at other states and see how it starts and ended for them
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Post  Laneysplott Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 pm

WE GAINED 30 days last year. 30 day we NEVER had! Yes we MIGHT lose 3 or 4 days, but 30 gained 4 lost is a victory where I went to school, and for the record, the guy who submitted the bill is a bear hunter not a Anti
    pappa Bear
    pappa Bear

Post  pappa Bear Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:33 pm

two weeks after training season is already a stretch as far as conditioning your dogs go. I know it would take an effect on my conditioning Smile
    pappa Bear
    pappa Bear

Post  pappa Bear Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:37 pm

When push comes to shove, I would rather give up training days for Hunting days!
    snowhound
    snowhound

Male Posts : 269

Post  snowhound Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:47 pm

you are right its a victory!!!! im not the enemy, i am a guy from ny that has lost my kill season for over twenty years now, i give up trying to talk about it ! i will just run during our training season that we are so graciously allowed to do by the state, i am only trying to get it across that you can loose it all and it can happen a little at a time but with all the bickering and this one vs that one going on its next to impossible to get anyone to listen,when you are willing to give up this for that and are negotiateing for your right to hunt then you already LOST!! good luck guys i hope you come out VICTORIOUS but i fear in ten years you will be in worse shape
    crowley
    crowley

Post  crowley Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Paul, I didn't say ANYTHING about you or skip.

"This bill was submitted with the original wording to take away two weeks of hound hunting during the kill season."

WHO SUBMITTED IT???

We gained a month last year and now we are going to loose some of it. We spend the training season getting the dogs into top shape, then lay them up for 2 1/2 weeks.
    THAT IS A BIG STEP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!

Ask any guide or hunter and they will tell you, the first week of stand season is the best week to hunt. If training hounds the last week of the training season had any significant effect on the bear that wouldn't be the case.

Many years ago a compromise was made and the stand hunters got 2 weeks to hunt without hounds. Nothing has changed, why are we compromising again????
    crossroadbeagles
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Every time we agree to change parts of the law toward this sport we are just opening different windows for the Antis to sneak in through, giving up days you already have is foolish.

Dealing with the antis is kinda like fishing; the fisherman (anti’s) cast something out there that looking like a warm to the fish (us) the fish eats it and ends up in the boat with its head cut off. End result of taking the bait; no season…. pretty black and white
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Post  Laneysplott Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:07 am

Steve wood from western maine submitted the bill
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:26 am

This is one of them bills thats not going to please everyone.Last thing we need to do is start argu'n amongest ourselves and get divided more then what we already are.I see both sides and sometimes comprimise is the only choice.Nobody likes it,includeing me,but what will the comprimise bring to the table if we were to loose?A bluff can only go so far sometimes.If we dont give some,it puts a target on our backs.I hate to have to give a hour let alone 3-4 days,but if it makes them feel like we've comprimised we may be able to use that toward our advantage next time.Just my 2 cents worth...
    sprucemountain
    sprucemountain

Post  sprucemountain Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:03 am

X2 Hollaback
    second nature
    second nature

Male Posts : 350
    Job/hobbies : Taxidermist /guide

Post  second nature Sun May 01, 2011 4:20 am

I have a couple question about representative woods I have heard some things that I am not sure they are true

first is he a bear hunting guide for bait only ?

second he was the one that proposed the Ld468?

and finally if the first 2 ? are yes than how is it that the state of Maine would allow any rep to submit a bill that directly benefits themselves ? . wouldn't that be considered a direct conflict of interest ?
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

info on bear bills Empty ? on who he is?????

Post  HOLLABACK Sun May 01, 2011 4:58 am

Larry,
    I think your info is correct.I dont understand it either.Why a person in Maine would stab his fellow hunters in the back like that is beyond me.I'm shocked to think it's come down to this. TRUST NOBODY!!!!!!!!
    second nature
    second nature

Male Posts : 350
    Job/hobbies : Taxidermist /guide

Post  second nature Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 am

if its true I would think it to be illegal if not illegal I would think it would be considered extremely a unethical practice for a state rep. and a IFW committee board member just my 2 cents worth
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

info on bear bills Empty ???????

Post  HOLLABACK Sun May 01, 2011 6:02 am

I agree,you would think it would be....The problem is nobody checks....It's just the back stabbing that pisses me off.Plus the fact that he has the position to sway his fellow board members....They take care of there own first I'm sure....I'm not sure how or what it takes to present a bill,but we need to start planting our own seeds and lots of them.....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm