Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

3 posters

eye question

derrick c.

Male Posts : 15
    Job/hobbies : truck driver

eye question Empty eye question

Post  derrick c. Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:40 pm

i have two year old english got him few months ago his right eye runs all the time put drops in it then cleared up then came back was shakn his head cleaned he;s ears they look nice an clean now but now his eye is starting to run like water it not all pusie looking could it be alergies any idea would help thanks
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

eye question Empty Re: eye question

Post  HOLLABACK Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 am

Derrick,
    Sounds like a case of conjuctivitis.....Cause could be a number of issues but a decent home remedy is to hold a used warm wet tea bag over his/her weeping eye as long as they'll let ya as often as you can.....It will act like a draw'n agent to remove any forgein matter or infection dog might have.....Dogs eyes have a third eyelid that often collect debris that is very irritate'n.....sometimes a sratch will show irritation.....But I used the tea bag trick a few times and always works for me.....
    Shake'n the head is usually a sign of ear irritation ,such as mites or fungus problem....Yeast infections in the ears are common on dropped ear breeds....This time of year is tricky to deal with these issues due to the temps outside......A cureable home remedy for the ear is straight peroxide.....make sure to bring dog inside till ears completely dry before returning him/her outside......Fair warning when they shake it out of their ears,stand back and have them in a area that is easily cleanable.....Wipe the outer ear clean and be careful not to poke deep into the dogs ear canal with anything sharp.....Smelling the ear tells alot also.....If it has a faul odor,chances are there's a infection going on that should be treated carefully before it forms into a ear canker that is much harder to treat.....
    Alot of times these two conditions are often tied together,so with that in mind treating one might help solve the other problem as well......Best of luck to ya!
    derrick c.

Male Posts : 15
    Job/hobbies : truck driver

eye question Empty thanks

Post  derrick c. Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 am

thanks holla back im going to try the tea bags i brang him to vets put dye in his eye eye fine his lower lid swelled put him on a paste ofsome sort i guess it stays in better an i think it was u had a dog eye lid had a minor opperation on it so last resort thats what might happen what ever it takes he;ll have done thank for all the info though
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Post  HOLLABACK Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 am

Best of luck with your hounds eye!
    cedar_hollow
    cedar_hollow

Male Posts : 36
    Job/hobbies : taxidermist

eye question Empty eye question

Post  cedar_hollow Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 pm

i had a yound dog whos eyes were running but also her nose was draining excessivly as well and she ended up having inverted eyelids and the vet had to do surgery on the muscles around the eyelid to correct the problem. gd luck with the dog hope this helps

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 pm