Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+6
sprucemountain
walkerpower23
Jason Waterhouse
brandon salls
pappa Bear
HOLLABACK
10 posters

Have'n bear trials

HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Have'n bear trials Empty Have'n bear trials

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 am

BIG GAME EVENTS::::: Been pondering the thought for a few years wanting to get some sort of trials going in the off season! Doing a day of fun,and some competition for trophies! Field trials,Water race,treeing contest,speed to tree,ect....The downeast houndsmen assn already does coon events and is willing to do some bear events as well....I will be bringing this subject up at the meeting in Augusta and see what we could actually do,and when! Maybe the entry fees can help bring some money to the club as well as buy'n trophies....This would not be a UKC event,but maybe MSDA event....If ya have any insight on what you think would help feel free to post......It would be a great place to blow the dust off the dogs and get together for a good cause....Also another place to get members to join!!!!! All dogs welcome.registered or not!!!! Feel free to put your spin on it!!!!!!!!
    pappa Bear
    pappa Bear

Male Posts : 41
    Job/hobbies : Maskwa Outfitters/ Contractor

Have'n bear trials Empty er

Post  pappa Bear Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:41 pm

A great Idea! This would be a nice way to train my pups for water and baying bear which is my game of choice. Count me in when you start.
    brandon salls
    brandon salls

Male Posts : 322
    Job/hobbies : training dogs

Have'n bear trials Empty Re: Have'n bear trials

Post  brandon salls Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:18 pm

are we talking a bay pen like down south or a bear hide dragged through the woods?
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Brandon,
    Well the only way to have a bear bay is to do a mechanical bear! We talked last year about a mount on springs and have 1 man work it for the dogs,but not real sure on how to score it for competition.We would have the drag for the field trials and water race.As far as treeing contest a full mount.
    With the mechanical bear it would obivously need to be protected from the dogs so they dont destroy it so behind a fence of some sort would help cure that issue,but score'n it, is where it gets difficult.....Anyone with thoughts feel free to post.......
    Jason Waterhouse
    Jason Waterhouse

Male Posts : 133
    Job/hobbies : HVAC sheetmetal worker

Post  Jason Waterhouse Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Something like this would work. I would love to build one of these to work my young dogs with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppz_95ixto&feature=related

Jason
    walkerpower23
    walkerpower23

Male Posts : 403
    Job/hobbies : Sales/ Running hounds

Post  walkerpower23 Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:56 pm

GREAT IDEA BILL! I see A lot of people do that down south like the VA Houndsmen ass. The Va. Houndsman Association will be having their annual meeting and Pig Roast on May 5. It will be held in Bath Co. (Black Bears Trout Pond). There will be a Bear Bay, Bear Drag, Bear Tree, Coon Roll Cage, Coon Tree, and NEW this year we are having a Top Dog contest. In order to become Top Dog, the dog must be entered in ALL events. We will also have vendors and hopefully branding station.. That sounds like a GOOD time to me! And I like your Idea bill of having it a MSDA event and raising money for the club! ANything to help the club and give us houndsmen something to do during the off season would be something you would think EVERY SINGLE person on here would be interested in...
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Jason,
    That sure would be nice!,but the mechanical bear will have to do for us now.Same concept tho.....

Matt,
    Thanks for posting! I agree it would be a great off season event! As many events as we want! Also a great place to get everyone together for a great cause! I known the crowd would be big enough for great races and lots of help! These events help socialize pups with other dogs and help with the off season blues as well......This is great place for folks to meet new folks that enjoy the sport as well,plus helps get new folks involved in our sport and see what it's all about....New Members and a good time is most important! Finding ways to make money for the club is'nt easy,but doing what we do,I think everyone would be willing to pay a small entry fee to see what they have on the end of thier leash,and have fun doing it! I personaly enjoy the events,and seeing who has what and how well my own will do.....It's clean fun,with lots to talk about....Getting together with the hounds is always a good time! Might just be a New England event before ya know it!
    sprucemountain
    sprucemountain

Post  sprucemountain Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Great Idea Bill, count me in. We can discuss it more this weekend.
    countryboyzguide
    countryboyzguide

Male Posts : 152

Post  countryboyzguide Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Sounds like a blast and a good way to raise money and bring in New members
    brandon salls
    brandon salls

Male Posts : 322
    Job/hobbies : training dogs

Post  brandon salls Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 am

I got a nice roadkill bear from the warden in my area last summer opening day of training season what a treat that was only weighed in around 75 lbs. but that would be perfact if someone hit one and could throw it into there frezzer till the event that'll give the dogs some actual scent and hide to shred apart or you could put it in a big roll cage or string it up like we do at the house all the time for the dogs and me to get some exercise, mechanical bear ? Sounds differant never heard of it sounds like it would work as long as you don't have to be inside it that might hurt if some dogs got onto ya lol. If anyone wants to get there dogs branded i no a few people asked me about it we do it to our hounds on there ears but you can put them just about anywhere hips, sides, etc. maybe walkerpower is right we could set up little booths and have raffles and a cookout anything to bring attetion to the MSDA LH BRANDS is the type you want you can get single letter or double for your intials there under a hundred bucks for a single letter and you can have custumized brands made to your own specs, dry ice and denatured alcohol work best for the frezze brand only takes between 15-18 seconds depending on how well shaved your dogs brand area is. If not enough folks are interested in doing this at the above UKC event we'll be doing ours in April that way they heal write up by training season you can come to our place and we can walk you through it it's not that hard just gotta provide your own brand hit me up pm email phone whatever.

Brandon Salls
    Ursus Kennels
    207 249 9722
    Brandonsalls@hotmail.com
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:13 am

Brandon,
    Alot of good Idea! Maybe thats a service you could offer? A mechanical bear is simply a bear mount,that is mounted on springs for each foot.It wiggles when shake'n and with a scent bag somewhere on it....It would'nt have to be perfect,just something that we could fool with the dogs with......Finding the right scent would be the key,since alot of that stuff is'nt the greatest,but it's worth a shot! All of this is always trial and error until ya do it enough to see what works best and what dont.....I'm sure if we all put our thoughts into it we could figure it out just fine....It sure would be nice to have something to do with the dogs April,May,and June when not much else is happening......Theres a permit we get from the state to hold our event in the off season that we would need,but it's under 20 dollars.....A good friend of mine is a taxidermist and sure he can whip something up if we can get a hind that someone is willing to donate to the club.....I'll help kick in money for the mold and then we'll always have it to use.......Plus a hide for a drag to put scent on......Where theres a will, theres a way.....Hopefully at the meeting we can come up with more details on what we want to do.....Keep the thoughts come'n!!!!!!!!
    bones

Post  bones Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:46 am

Bill sorry I haven't called back been running like a chicken with my head cut off. WE all like the idea of the big game trial. Wetalked about it at our meeting the other night and also disscussed having a rabis clinic at the same time. you can pm me or call cell is 491 7533 thanks
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:58 am

Clay,
    Sounds good! I called and talked with Allen G at UKC and he loved the idea as well....Being able to run these events just like regular coon events and still earn titles! They honor Coon,Cat,Bear,&Lion! I was thinking MSDA can have seven events also,so maybe we can alternate from club to club? We would still be required to have the 60 days notice to run it in Bloodlines,and all paperwork will be the same.......Time wise it's putting us into late June? We also talked about have'n a couple to start just for fun and see what type of response we get,before we fire all our bullets! If ya get a chance,give me a call,since your so busy...lol....and maybe we can figure out event scheduals so they dont conflick with our other events......Talk with ya soon......
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

Post  blue_ridge Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:20 am

sounds like you guys have something great in the works. cant wait to hear how it works out. too bad you couldnt run bear for the night hunts like you do the coon hunts LOL. now that would be something haha. good luck with everything and hope to hear the progress!!!!

corey
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:28 am

Corey,
    Thanks! Everything looks like it's going to work out well....Hopefully the response the club gets make the events well worth the effort.....These events are always fun win,loose,or draw.....
    pungy
    pungy

Male Posts : 60
    Job/hobbies : corrections officer/hunting

Post  pungy Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 pm

hey bill the mechanical bear they used at plott days had a its head moveing from side to side and up and down they used stakes and chains to keep dogs from gettn to bear and bungges on the chain to keep the dogs from pulling out the stakes and not so hard on the dogs when they lunge at the bear they scored it by counting barks per min like a treeing contest
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Pungy,
    That sounds like a good idea! We're going to try a few things and see what works best,since it's all pretty new to us.....It's all fun anytime everyone gets together.....A chance to socialize the young dogs and see old friends is always fun.Plus give ya a chance to see some dogs and get a something to munch on.....lol.....I'm sure we'll figure it out as we go.......We'll definately have bench show,water race, field trials,& Tree'n contest,and hopefully some sort of bay'n contest.....We talked about chaulk'n a circle and keep'n time,and stop time when dog steps out of circle?????? Something differant....Open to anymore Ideas?????? Thanks Pungy!
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:43 am

Here's a link to a mechanical bear bay'n contest that Pungy told me about....This is what we all need to do.

https://youtu.be/wppz_95ixto
    Jason Waterhouse
    Jason Waterhouse

Male Posts : 133
    Job/hobbies : HVAC sheetmetal worker

Post  Jason Waterhouse Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 am

That's the same video I posted on this thread. A few comments back
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:38 am

Jason,
    Sorry man! I must have missed it before Embarassed It sure looks real enough! Hopefully we can get something like that made up....I think it would be pretty fun to get a big crowd together and watch em' go at it! Maybe soon!
    pungy
    pungy

Post  pungy Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:41 pm

I missed the link in the earlyer post also.It is very real looking some of the dogs at plott days that had never seen a bear went rite the other way when they saw it.
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:23 am

Pungy,
    I can see why,It looks pretty real to me! There's a fella in wisconsin that makes them,He'll do whatever it is ya want.From what I gather everything he does is motorized too.....That would be the ultimate training tool for pups in the off season.......Probably pretty costly too.....
    pungy
    pungy

Post  pungy Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm

the one at plott days a guy in virgina made not sure what he used as a motor to move head but it ran off a truck battery

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am