Hounds of Maine

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hounds of Maine

+8
DogChaser
toby
meguide01
blue_ridge
metrapper
brandon salls
HOLLABACK
Laneysplott
12 posters

"EVERYONE"

"EVERYONE" Empty "EVERYONE"

Post  Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi everyone, I've noticed there hasn't been much activity on the MSDA website. confused I was just wondering how many members we have now Question When our next meeting will be Question and if we were going to have a booth this year Question during this idle time we all still need to stay involved ...thanks for your time
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Male Posts : 108
    Job/hobbies : guide

"EVERYONE" Empty Re: "EVERYONE"

Post  Laneysplott Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:53 am

Tim ,we have paid for the booth at the show, we will soon need to start figuring out who will be manning it, raffle item,ect. I leave for shows out of state next week and will be gone for a while
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:38 am

MSDA,
    I'll do my part at the booth,just need to know when it's going to be,as I'm headed out of state for a show as well......
    brandon salls
    brandon salls

Male Posts : 322
    Job/hobbies : training dogs

Post  brandon salls Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:29 am

not sure if this pertains to anyone else but iv'e tried contacting the treasure of the MSDA via email asking several questions about renewel memberships and if they offer any family discounts, my wife paid her dues at the last August show but im not sure if iam up to date or not but i was curious if the MSDA is offering a family type life membership or anything similar, i know the organization could use the money just my two cents. Does anyone no when the next meeting is where, time, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Brandon Salls
    Ursus Kennels
    207 249 9722
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 am

Brandon,
    Glad to hear your excietment to help! We're all on the same boat! Not 100% sure what was figured out fully on the membership dues,but will find out for ya!We're all on the early stages of this club try'n to iron out all the details.....This site is a great place to see whats happening as well as info posted from time to time......The main goal is to support our sport,wheather ya run bird dogs,rabbit hunt,bear hunt,coyote hunt,cat hunt,ect.....We're all in this together.....To support our dogs sports against bills in Augusta......Plus to get awareness out there about our sport.....Everyone brings something special to the table that makes us whole.....I'll try and get some info posted for ya soon.......Anyone that knows feel free to post.......Thanks.........
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Post  Laneysplott Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Dues are $10 $25 for a family membership
    metrapper

Male Posts : 86
    Job/hobbies : trapping and hunting

Post  metrapper Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:58 am

hello
    what is the link to the website can i pay my dues online thank you
    chester and beth

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 am

brandon salls
    brandon salls

Post  brandon salls Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:17 am

Paul what show are you speaking about with tim a booth at a sportsman show i take it when and where might that be happening, and are there any ideas on what to offer as a raffle i would have to check and see our availability but perhaps we might be able to offer a guided bear hunt with dogs, would have to figure it out rather soon as we are geting deposits pretty much every week for this years bear season lots of bait hunters and now the dog hunters are starting to call so im not saying at the moment i have any open spots but things can allways change. And do you have any input on when and where and what time the next meeting is i understand lots of folks won't be in attendance but it seems like we need to have one rather soon. And as far as paying my dues hopefully the treasure will be at the meeting and maybe we could all reup on our dues, im sure im not the only one in this prediciment.

Brandon Salls
    Ursus Kennels
    207 249 9722
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

Post  blue_ridge Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 am

brandon that offer of a guided bear hunt with hounds as the raffle is a great idea. i think that would catch a lot of peoples attention at the sportsman show and bring something different to there eyes. great idea and thanks for the offer

corey
    meguide01
    meguide01

Male Posts : 157

Post  meguide01 Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 am

i agree with corey on this and also think that as we all nkow there are many guides on this site and also in the association and well with all involved this could be a very attainable possibility and i believe that if you look at past years schedule you could offer the time frame that was open and still provide a good service and give a valued prize to create value to a raffle and also show the ability and service that is available in this very diverse association. just my opinion hope i do not step on any toes here but feel what a good way to promote what this association is about. maybe this can be a multiple raffle with all facettes being represented be it beagles on rabbits or upland bird dogs in their time or well coyote dog runners maybe this would be a raffle worth many entries?
    toby
    toby

Male Posts : 124
    Job/hobbies : lineman for fairpoint com./MSDA Member

Post  toby Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:56 pm

having been a D.U. member and worked the booth for them at the augusta show for a few years i have found more people are looking for the dollar raffles. im not saying you guys should be raffling a hunt for a dollar but have something for everyone. D.U. would always raffle a shot gun but the .22 youth rifle for a dollar always made more money. maybe a guided hunt for ten dollars and possibly a .22 for a buck?
    Laneysplott
    Laneysplott

Post  Laneysplott Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 am

Toby, I agree I do all the shows for the MPGA, we have raffled guns, fly rods, Idaho Elk hunts, and much more, the guns by far go the best, I think if we could get a gun and also raffle the bear hunt we would do very well, also having a good salesman working the booth is key!

Post  Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:56 am

Paul you should call Norm Sanderson and ask him he's one heck of a salesman and i'm sure he'd be happy as hell to be part of it if you need his # just PM me ...50/50 and $1 raffle did well last year
    blue_ridge
    blue_ridge
    Admin

Male Posts : 1524
    Job/hobbies : hunting, wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing

Post  blue_ridge Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 am

i dont know anything about raffles or whats better than others but what about a puppy? i dont have any but i was sitting here thinking how a puppy raffle would go. probably wouldnt get much attention but if you had a little beagle puppy there at the show i think people wouldnt mind putting a few dollars into a raffle to win a nice looking little beagle. again its just my thoughts and probably crazy to most LOL but i would probably put in for one if i saw it sitting at the sportsman show. just thinking the more the better as far as options for raffles. i wish i could help at the sportsman show but i dont feel im the person for the job. ill def be there on one of the days and will stop in!!!!!

corey
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:45 am

If we decide on a gun,Dave Johnson at Johnsons hardware will use us great.Probably at cost for him?????? Wherever we decide to get the gun it should be left at thier store for pick-up for the backround check.....So maybe a gun shop centerally located?????Just some ideas.....Dog food raffle would probably be a hot item since we're the sport dog assn......I know I'd surely buy a bunch.......And generally everyone has a pet.....
    toby
    toby

Male Posts : 124
    Job/hobbies : lineman for fairpoint com./MSDA Member

Post  toby Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:52 pm

no so sure im the guy that should make the call but L.L.bean donates huge locally,they may even pay for the booth, im trying to find out who to contact at L.L.bean as for donations. im in good with the chairman for the kennebec chapter of D.U. and i asked them for a donation we could auction off at the show, he said he didnt see it beeing a problem, he would run it by the comittee at there next meeting. i asked for a L.L.bean dog first aid kit, we will have to wait and see. Another idea about the raffle is to presell raffle tickets,say for a .22 rifle make a couple hundred tickets but draw the winner at the show on sunday. The big money maker obviously would be a guided hunt, no money out of pocket for the club and good tax write off for the guide. Anyone in good with a gun shop that may donate a gun?
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

Post  DogChaser Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:38 am

Hey Guys!

I have been keeping up with your comments everyday and here's my update:

Membership cards are taken care of - (next meeting we can pass them out)

On the issue of figuring out the next meeting - I will contact the rest of the Board of Directors and see if we can shoot for a meeting at the Sportsman Show like we did last year.

The decals are on there way with our Logo - We can sell them for $3.00 each or 2 for $5.00, remember all proceeds go back into the MSDA

I have been in touch with various retailers, shops, ect and am still looking for something else to be raffled off at the Sportsman Show - a guided hunt of any kind sounds good to me, but what ever else any of you can get donated will be much appreciated. Once we start having trials of our own we can use any extras that were donated to be raffled off as well.

I can pick up 2 colors of "tickets" and we can use one for each.

I have been in contact with Marie, our MSDA secretary/treasurer and we are working together to figure out the details and get as much done as we can before the Sportsman Show.

I am the fundraising chair for the MSDA so if any of you have anything to donate, know someone who will and have any other ideas please feel free to e-mail at mainesportingdogs@hotmail.com

REMEMBER all of these things cost $$$ money for the MSDA, so the more members that we have benefit the MSDA, and all of you dog hunters out there!

If there is anything I missed or you have any questions or suggestions please e-mail at mainesportingdogs@hotmail.com

Please if there are any dog hunters out there that are not a part of the MSDA, please join us, as Hollaback said "Lets not forget why this club was formed! We need to be take'n this time to get this organization up and running in full force. Especially while everyone is in hunting season mode. Please take time to discuss with others the importance of this club while your out and about. We all know it's just a matter of time before were all in Augusta again. This time we'll be ready!"

www.mainesportingdogsassociation.webs.com

Thanks, Lauren

oxford dogger

Post  oxford dogger Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 am

Well written and well done Lauren.
    This may be the best venue to list the times of the show and when it needs to be staffed.
    I believe we are supposed to be there from 1 PM on Friday through 5 PM on Sunday.
    I will be available for Friday and /or Sunday.
    Do we need pictures/posters for the booth? How many people do we need?
    Thanks for the help.
    Tim
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Post  DogChaser Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:05 am

I forgot to say also Tim that I am in the process of ordering a banner for the booth. Tim Cote has informed me that Norm has the MTHA booth and has called him. We need to figure out if using that booth is going to work for us? Regardless I WILL have the BANNER Razz
    brandon salls
    brandon salls

"EVERYONE" Empty so what's up with the show everyone???????

Post  brandon salls Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:30 am

??????????? I take it that it seems like more folks are interested in haveing a raffle for a weapon of some sorts, rather than any sort of outdoor experiance with any sort of dogs, be it rabbit, bird, coyote, bear or bobcat. But isn't the point of the club as a whole to get out there and spread the many exciting opportunites there are with hunting with dogs, and get more people interested in this sport, i would expect more people to agree than to disagree with my question. I personally do not care as to what is raffled off at this show, all's i can tell you is we need people with good PR (public relations) skills to get as many new members to join the MSDA. I've done the August show twice but not for the MSDA and when dealing with people you have to be able to explain what this club/organization is, and what it's about, and why it's important to be a part of it you have to tell them where there money is going and what it's being used for. You have to be able to read people and sorta suck them in where you are the only one they are listening to and make them listen to what you have to say, from there it's just getting them hooked and if this club is going to go anywhere we need more members.

In my own opioin i think we need to have more meetings than once a year, better communication between the board of directors and the members themselves only brings the club closer and better prepared for when certain bill's in Augusta are brought up, and any other issues pertaining to dog hunting of any kind. I just found out today who the new presidant of the club is i can't even get on the MSDA website from my house out in the bush it takes forever to get anything to load or do anything, and i have tried from other computer networks and still the same story, i don't no anything about these idiot boxes we call computers but just curious if anyone else is haveing any issues with that site maybe something is wrong with it? Now if you'll excuse me my 3 month old just puked all over the computer screen so on that note any and all feedback is greatly appreciated

Brandon Salls
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Post  DogChaser Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 am

If you read the above post that I wrote it says that a hunt sounds like a good idea. Its not that the MSDA isn't listening to those ideas that all of you are having, the MSDA can't go all out crazy because as of right now members and funds are limited, we love the support and all suggestions but it has been very hard to set dates and places aside for meetings that most of the MSDA members could attend, the last one was in Bangor in May and it was posted on the forum so those who wished to could attend (as only about 15 attended the meeting). We are still working on the turn over from Maine Tree Hounds assoc. to Maine Sporting Dogs assoc. and eventually will have more meetings and events of our own, but we are still working out the kinks.
    ... as for the hunt, some of you have mentioned the idea but whats needed is a set date and guide service that will donate their time. We have a little over a month to get these things set in stone. As of right now I believe there will be 2 raffles, once we figure it out, all of you will know.

I run the website and it is updated weekly if not more, we are working on getting the domain. I am sorry that you are having issues with the site and if you need to become a member of the site and are having troubles with that I can set it up for you with your e-mail address. My e-mail for the MSDA is mainesportingdogs@hotmail.com . Please feel free to e-mail me if you need any further help.

Lauren

Post  Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 am

I have seen it asked several times.. How many members do we have now? What do we have for funds available? Why havent we had monthly news letters? These are some of the questions that I have been asked by other members..If these could be answered it would be great.. thanks Tim
    HOLLABACK
    HOLLABACK

Post  HOLLABACK Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:40 am

Lauren,
    First thing I'd like to say is "Great Job" on all your doing.Ya cant please everyone! I told Marie,mark me down for whatever position that needs me to be there and I'll do my share....You dont even have to ask just tell me when....I for one know all the time you are putt'n in to this organization and it has'nt done un-noticed....If ya have any other things that need to be done or brought down there just let me know and we'll make it happen.....
    As Far as the raffle goes,what do we have so far? I will be seeing what I can have donated thats dog related that might help out.as soon as I know I'll drop ya a e-mail.....I talked with Marie about the tax information that she was concerned about and think she's got that take'n care of....Alot of folks need to understand that this all takes time to get right, not just say'n we're a club and were done....Thanks for all the time invested in the decals and banner.All looks great.Priced right too..
    One of my Ideas was a dog food raffle....Maybe everyone that could,bring a spare bag of dog food,any kind would work....and raffle the pile off....Most members could afford to bring a $20. bag of feed. My thoughts would be that most folks with house pets would even try their luck on that.....
    To all; Please have patients with this newly formed group,as we all want the same thing.We're all doing our best to make this happen....
    My number is 1-207-271-0610 if anyone needs anything,or Ideas to talk about....Feel free to call anytime with any questions and I'll do the best I can to help......
    DogChaser
    DogChaser

Post  DogChaser Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:40 am

Last I knew the MSDA had at least 50 members. That number may have changed and I am sure we will have a better count by the Sportsman show along with any funds we have left after the booth, membership cards, a new banner, the domain for our website and anything the MSDA has or will need between now and the Sportsman show. As for a monthly news letter, we have the MSDA website. If you think of the minimum of 50 members with stamps, envelops ect its a $40-50 expense EVERY month. The MSDA isn't big enough at this point, we're small, we've got to start small or we'll be penny-less inside of a year. I have always asked if there are shows, events from other organizations, or anything else you want to share to put it on the MSDA website. The calender is there for all of us to share clubs and events that we're a part of Smile Its the best way to get us out there! Share your info, post thoughts concerns ect on the MSDA website, it has a forum too!

Lauren

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 am